Pros and Cons of Drinking Lemon Water
Benefits of Lemon Water
The benefits of drinking lemon water
- As a rich source of vitamin C, lemon juice protects the body from Immune system deficiencies and helps fight common cold, etc.
- With its powerful antibacterial properties, lemon juice helps fight infections and acts as a detoxifying agent.
- Helps with maintaining digestive health.
- Along with vitamin C, lemons are also a rich source of potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc.
- Lemon water is also a popular remedy for many kinds of skin problems ranging from acne, rashes and wrinkles to dark spots.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps in quick weight loss as it promotes digestion and increases the metabolic rate.
- Lemon juice is also very effective at cleansing the liver as it promotes the liver to flush out toxins
- Lemon’s anti-inflammatory properties help in fighting respiratory tract infections, sore throat and inflammation of tonsils.
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water also helps reduce joint and muscle pain.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps with digestion and hence, helps regulate natural bowel movement.
Side effects of lemon water
The side effects of drinking lemon water
- Aggravate heartburn and ulcers. Lemons can trigger or even aggravate heartburn is by activating pepsin, an enzyme in the stomach that breaks down proteins. Lemon juice can also worsen peptic ulcers. Ulcers are formed by excessively acidic digestive juices. Taking lemon juice can only make things worse.
- Might Cause Nausea and Vomiting and diarrhea because of too much vitamin C. Some detox diets like the lemon water diet were found to cause nausea and vomiting.
- Lemon juice, especially in a glass of warm water, can act as a diuretic. It can increase urine output, the juice from lemon rids your body of the excess water. Acidic fruits like lemons can also irritate the bladder. This increases the urge to urinate more often.
- Certain experts believe that citrus can trigger migraines.